Saturday, June 13, 2009

Racing to Read

This morning was our second annual go at the Racing to Read in Covington, KY. B and I ran in this 5k last year, a week before our wedding. It hit us this morning when we picked up our packets and we got to wait in the same line - pick-up lines were organized alphabetically by last name. :)

(Brian at packet pick-up, it was super sunny this a.m.)

We seriously kicked butt through the first mile. B says we ran it in 9 minutes but I think he may have started his watch a little late, I had more like 10.5. After the first mile I remembered quickly how much I actually hate this race. I feel bad about it, the race does have lots of great things to offer. For $20 pre-registration you get: a technical top, pancake post-race breakfast, a scenic route along the Ohio River, and to help the literacy programs of Northern Kentucky -good thing, I'm sure they need it ;). I guess what I hate about it is the 3-4 (can't remember off the top of my head) rediculously steep hills that I'd rather punch myself in the face than run up. And the increased humidity from being near the water. And that it's in KY; are you noticing a theme of how I truely feel about our southern neighbor? :)

All in all it was a good race and we both finished better than last year: B=34:45, J=36:10. Too bad we don't get to go to St. Lucia in a week for a honeymoon again like last year.

P.S.- I went to bed at 9pm last night. I guess an early morning workout was a bit much for me on a Friday :)

No comments:

Post a Comment