Sunday, September 20, 2009

And...we're back.

After a few weeks hiatus from posting, Jen and I are back. And back with intensity - on Saturday, we both hit 10 miles. That's awesome. Now, I'll fill you in on how we got here.

So the last post was in July when we upped our runs from 4 to 5 miles. That was a big deal. We continued around that range for most of July. Then, on August first, Jen ran the Cincinnati Ladies Distance Classic 10k. Obviously I wouldn't be running in a women-only race but I still did my part, waking early to get Jen to the course and then volunteering as a course monitor. Basically I made sure all of the ladies made a certain turn. It was a lot of estrogen, but I did get a pretty sweet t-shirt out of it...and requests for kisses.



Throughout August we adjusted are weekly training schedule to something more like this:
  • 1 fast light run (5k distance)
  • 1 steady medium run (5-7 mile distance)
  • 1 steady long run (changed upwards each week - currently at 10 mile distance)
  • 2-3 bouts of cross-training (including light lifting, spinning, or elliptical training)
  • 1-2 days of rest
That's been working pretty well for us, in terms of both our schedules and our physical/mental preparation. I've even gone so far as to show an interest in both trail running and the full Flying Pig Marathon. We'll seen how those crazy ideas pan out.

I promise I'll post a little more frequently than I have over the past couple months, especially now that we are down to less than 1 month to our big race!

No comments:

Post a Comment