Tuesday, January 26, 2010

When Training, Be Flexible (Physically and Timely)

Today I finalized my training schedule.  I've worked in several different workouts including yoga.  The inclusion of yoga will improve my flexibility as well as my balance and ability to keenly focus on my goal.  Not to mention yoga is a lot of fun!  I can't wait to get back into practicing - even if it's only once a week.


As you can see, I'm planning on running my long runs on Saturdays (as long as I can get up and not be tempted my Jen's delicious breakfasts...) with short runs on Mondays and Thursdays.  I'll plan to cross train at the gym on Sundays and Tuesdays (Tuesdays will be spinning!), practice yoga on Wednesdays, and finally, rest on Fridays.


I'm sure I'll find a few other days fall way to resting as well but that's okay.  The importance of the schedule is not to stick to it 100%; instead its importance is the accountability it creates.  I have a plan to follow to reach my goal.  RIght now the goal is to run the race, but as I progress I'll get a time in there to help fine-tune my schedule.  Most importantly though, the schedule should be FLEXIBLE!


So, how did I put this together?  6 simple steps:


Assembling a Run Training Schedule
  1. Step1
    Sit down with a weekly calendar and determine (a) how many weeks you have before your goal and (b) how many days of the week you want to spend on each type of training (including rest!).
  2. Step2
    Decide what specific type of exercises you want to engage in. For instance, you will need to balance your short runs, long runs, cardiovascular, and resting days to safely reach your goal.  Include yoga to really train across the entire spectrum of health and wellness.
  3. Step3
    Starting with today (or starting from your goal), decide what types of exercises you will do on each day.  Spread it any way you like, just be sure you have 1 - 2 days of rest per week and that you aren't running any two days in a row.
  4. Step4
    For any "run" days, determine your mileage.  Your long runs should build up to your goal and your short runs should stay attainable to fit in with the rest your life's schedule.  Experiment with running at, below, and above your race pace.  Run mile sprints/surges within your runs to train your muscles for quick changes in pace.
  5. Step5
    Put it on paper and commit yourself to training according to your plan (but remain flexible!). This is the most important step.
  6. Step6
    Don't be afraid to re-make your schedule.


No comments:

Post a Comment